Monday, June 20, 2005

Putting the “Dark” Back in “Dark Knight”

If you haven’t seen Batman Begins yet then what are you waiting for? Go! Go now! It’s o.k. I’ll be here when you get back. . . .

If you’re not wanting to see the new Batman because of the crummy review in the Courier Journal, don’t let that stop you. Who ever reviewed it must have been having a bad day, because I loved it and so has everyone else I know who has seen it.

This Batman film is not the prequel to the other Batman films. Instead it is the first of a new series of Batman films that share no relations to the Tim Burton or (shudder*) Joel Shumacher’s Batman films. And with such DC comic disappointments like 1997’s Batman & Robin and last years Catwoman still fresh in our memories is there a chance a new Batman franchise could turn things around? The answer is YES, because Batman Begins does everything right in the eyes of a Batman fan.

It’s Dark, action packed, not for children, and there are NO rubber Bat-nipples. And when I say dark I mean DARK. This film’s comic inspiration is the Frank Miller’s Batman, and if you are unfamiliar with Frank Miller he did the Sin City graphic novels. Also in the movie, when Bruce Wayne first goes out as Batman, it’s like something out of a horror movie (children will not like this movie, they will dream batmen are in their closets).

The sequel that is hinted at in the end of the movie made grab Sarah’s arm (very tightly) and bounce up and down in the movie theater (just wait till you see who the next villain will be). As commented in SFX magazine, director Christopher Nolan has signed up to do at least two more films based on how well Batman Begins does.

So go now, see it. Alfred commands you!

*corrected spelling, thanks Liz

9 comments:

liz said...

Okay, number one, I think you mean 'shudder'. Number two, dark is nice, but is there enough humor? Oh, and did you see the thing in the Weekend Extra about the best and worst of Batman? They were a little too fond of Micheal Keaton for my taste, but my favorite villain and my mom's tied for that title. In fact I had a whole long, odd conversation with my mom about Batman, which is unusual because she's not really the comics type. And damn this post has gotten long. Sorry.

Raven said...

liz i say you spend the 7.50 and go see this movie. donovan did get extremely excited and hurt my arm a little bit at the end.

Donovan "Slinus" Jones said...

Liz, you may be sad to nkow that there is very little humor in this movie, But I like it. This movie wouldn't work if they added to much humor.
(And thanks for pointing out my spelling flaws)

Tiffany said...

Yay for no bat-nipples! Batman & Robin was an atrocity to all. I almost wanted to slap my nephew down when he said that Batman & Robin was the best Batman movie ever (this was a year ago). Of course, that was the only Batman movie he had ever seen. >.<
Stuuupid hobbitses.

liz said...

If I can find some other people to go, I might see it. I will add that further thought leads me to think I might know what made him so excited. I could be wrong though. However, I must say that the continuous good reviews are making me curiouser and curiouser...

liz said...

Also, Maureen wants to know if it made you grab Sarah's arm, or if it just made grab. Isn't it fun to have people who notice stuff like that for you? Too bad I make the same mistakes myself. Oh well.

liz said...

On the plus side, Maureen said she'd see it with me. Does anyone know if it's on IMAX here? She asked, but I didn't know. God I have a lot of posts in a row. But then, Maureen counldn't post right now, because I think she's talking to Sydel on the phone. So I'm being all helpful. Yay!

Donovan "Slinus" Jones said...

Yeah, it's on the Imax at stonybrook (The same theater we saw Fung fu hustle and Hitchhikers guide.) If youre looking for more people, I thought it was good enough to see twice.

Tiffany said...

Yay, I found out my sis is taking the nephews to go see War of the Worlds and Batman Begins, so now I'm going, too. Tonight, w00t. ^-^