Sunday, February 26, 2006

Why should the Justice League have all the Fun?

Animated Superheroes that break the PG rating Barrier? The Ultimate Avengers have arrived on DVD in a nicely 2D animated film with a “we can show people DIE!” PG-13 rating.

Coming from the creative minds behind Spiderman the Animated Series and X-Men Evolution, the film is based on Marvel’s famed all-star superhero team that Stan Lee began with core members Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, Ant/Giant Man, and Captain America in the 60s. This particular version comes straight from the very popular 2002 Ultimates miniseries, which re-imagined some aspects of the franchise. Notably S.H.I.E.L.D. chief Nick Fury is black, Wasp apparently Asian, and Thor a binge drinking hippie.

I’ll be honest; I’m just not as fond of Marvel Comic’s characters, granted there are some exceptions. I’m more of a DC comics guy. Most of the heroes in this film were unfamiliar to me except for the Hulk, Giant/Ant man, and my personal favorite Wasp. And unfortunately none of the Avengers have “Secret Identities” except for Iron Man who looses his very early in the film. Out of all the new “unfamiliar” heroes the only one I really liked was Thor, I don’t know why but that magical axe is sweet!!

The movie itself seemed rushed. The movie seems to focus on Captain America and the assembly of the “Avengers” team is put together a little too easily. I’ll be honest yet again, the main reason I bought this film was for the Wasp. Although drawn extremely sexy, she doesn’t receive a lot of screen time and her shrinking sequences are very hurried. About ¾ of the way through the film I was becoming very disappointed, especially with the extreme lack of Hulk. Yet if you think this review will end on a down note, you’re wrong.

The final battle between the Avengers and “Nazi-friendly Aliens” provided some good action scenes and a few laughs and “Ouch” moments. But the entire film turned around for me in the last 10 minutes. That’s right, Bruce Banner finally unleashes the Hulk! I’ve got two words for you . . . HULK SMASH! Hulk smashes sooo much that I almost forgot all about that awful smash-free live action Hulk movie disaster. And with all that smashing, the Hulk looses it and must Smash more even when there are no aliens left to smash. So what does Hulk smash, you ask? Why the Avengers of course! And it is this final battle between the Hulk and the Avengers that save this film for me. Some of my personal favorite beat-downs are Hulk’s fist to Giant man’s knee cap, the Wasp attacking Hulk from inside his ear, and Hulk vs. Thor (A fight worthy of a Garthug’s attention!)

So in the end a sexy Wasp, Thor’s sweet Axe, and plenty of Hulk Smashing give this film 3 out 5 Slinus Heads!

3 comments:

The Sand-Dave said...

Hmmm... while I tend to agree with the awesomeness of Hulk's smashitude, I think this movie had more to offer than just that. For instance, I got to see Cap Am be more than a two-dimensional boy scout in every possible meaning of the words. Despite the fact that he detonated an alien-built Nazi nuclear warhead with a hand grenade (please... we all know that Nazis are far too resistant to anal probing to ally with ET, even for nukes...), I give the movie 3 and a half Slinus heads. Which I conveniently happen to have on my shelf here.

Donovan "Slinus" Jones said...

I was wondering where my other 3 and half severed heads were.

sydel said...

and you think that i'm more disturbed?!?!...........